8.19.2010

Cartharsis

When I heard the news Saturday night, it didn't really sink in.  It wasn't until the next morning while sitting alone in front of the computer that I finally broke.  I couldn't help crying, feeling so incredibly far away from my family with only the kind words of Facebook and a bluegrass soundtrack to console me.  I left Lansing as soon as I could arrange a ride with my sister, Kristi, and pack a bag.



The trip down was fairly uneventful.  Ohio dragged on forever, as it always does and that W.V. state line was just as gorgeous as I always remember it.  We head straight for our Aunt Faye's house, as the family viewing was scheduled for shortly after we arrived.

For my own privacy and that of my family, I'll simply say that the services were beautiful and leave it at that.

I left for West Virginia with a single piece of luggage and a lot of baggage.  By no means did I rid myself of all of it, though I did lighten my load considerably.  I learned about my heritage and found common ground where I had previously thought there was none.  I didn't think anyone would understand why I wanted to make this trip.  I figured many would try to talk me out of it but, to the contrary,  they encouraged it.  Granted, they continually reminded me of the inherent dangers.  Though that simply shows they care about me and my well-being.

With the ambling hills of West Virginia now in the rear view mirror, I am looking ahead to the next path laid out in front of me.  While I may be taking this by my lonesome, there is a full cast of supporting characters doing there part behind the scene.  This trip helped me put some personal demons to rest and unburden myself of some of the guilt I carry.  It's with a clearer mind and conscience that set forth to forge my way towards becoming a man of my own making.

1 comment:

  1. I can't come up with words - just lots of love & hugs.

    ReplyDelete