1.20.2011

Step One

Okay, it's been a minute, so let's refresh...

I moved to Austin for pretty much two reasons.  Firstly, to immerse myself in a progressive food culture and gather the skills necessary to be more sustainable and responsible.  Both in the kitchen and in my everyday life. Austin's food trailers allow me to typically talk to the person who owns it every time I visit them. I know my money is staying in my community when I buy tacos from the trailer in my cul-de-sac.

I've had my fair share of trailer experiences for the short time I've been here.  But two stand out above the rest: The Odd Duck and The Jalopy. The Odd Duck sources 100% of its proteins, cheeses and produce from local farms, the ingredients are so fresh and flavorful, it would be hard not to make good food out of it.  The Duck goes above and beyond though.  I can't even talk about their wood-fired grill until I investigate it further. Also, I can now say that I have eaten at a place that was on No Reservations. The Jalopy was a completely different experience. Don't get me wrong, the food was ridiculously good and Nic very happy to make custom dishes.  He started us of with and sampling of his different sauces.  He and my friend Eve talked about vegan options and  Nic totally hooked her up with a killer sammich. I told him that I was very much a carnivore and would surely appreciate the biggest, messiest pile of pork he could offer up.  He didn't disappoint.  

Also, he gave us free beer!  And both places are B.Y.O.B.

But I didn't come to Austin just to eat.  I have been studying the area farms and finally meet a few of the people who work at Johnson's Backyard Garden.  This is one of the farms I applying for an internship with shortly after arriving in Texas.  I liked JBG because the owner start as a backyard hobbyist and now has 77 acre organic farm.  It looks like I'll be volunteering there Wednesday and Thursday mornings and may even have a shoe in the door for a job.  

The other big reason for the move was the bike culture in Austin.  Many streets have dedicated bike lanes and those that don't often has construction under way.  Some the lanes are simply luxurious.  Then, there's the the social rides. I've been in Austin proper for 4 weeks today and have been on 3 rides so far, with one more lined up for tonight.  Even in January, turnout is larger than I am used to.  I am making friends and riding a lot. I am starting get acclimated to the hillier terrain and the downhills here as super fast and super fun to ride. I rode on the interstate with about 50 people at 3AM.  I carried my bike through muddy trails and gravel pits just to sprint the length of an old, unused runway. To say the least, I've making the most of the bike scene here.

So, that's that.  I came here for two reasons and I feel I am fulfilling the expectations I set for myself.  I am taking one step at a time toward becoming the productive inhabitant of this planet I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment